Walks and hikes in Europe and California, posted sporadically as they happen… or as I reflect on them…

Friday, September 14, 2012

Mount Shasta, September 1, 2012

scree.jpg
Eastside Road, September 14, 2012—
PERHAPS IT'S TIME to revisit this long-languishing blogsite. I conceived it originally simply as a site for dispatches from a walk from Lake Geneva to Nice, undertaken four years ago. Recently, though, there have been a few more walks. When I've discussed them at all online I've tossed the dispatches into another blog I maintain, The Eastside View. But that site is mostly for comments on the arts, reading, occasionally politics. Walking is so special; it deserves a site of its own. So I think it's time to revisit this site, not all that often, no more often than I actually take walks, or think about them, but certainly more often than every four years. This year there have been three walks so far. From Feb. 27 to March 7 we spent several days on trails in Limburg (Netherlands), east Belgium, and Luxembourg; I'm currently writing about that trip at some length and will post some of the results here as I get to them. Then in June I participated in a one-day 25-mile walk on the Sonoma County coast, from Fort Ross School north to Plantation; then back along the coast to Fort Ross itself. In August we took a nice daylong hike in the vicinity of Round Top, south of Lake Tahoe in the Sierra. Then two weeks ago I finally made my assault on the fearsome scree of Mount Shasta. I didn't summit; I'll tell you that right now. But I did pretty well. The write-up, with photos, is on my personal website.

0 comments: