Walks and hikes in Europe and California, posted sporadically as they happen… or as I reflect on them…

Monday, December 1, 2008

How to walk across the alps

Eastside Road, Healdsburg, December 1, 2008
BACK FROM A MONTH in Italy, and revisiting this blog, I realize it'll be a little confusing to anyone seeing it for the first time.

This is an account of a walk from Evian-les-Bains to Nice, about 450 miles, done from June 20 to July 28, 2008, with my grandson Henry and my friend Mac. I've posted a day-by-day account, with photos.

Since this is a blog, though, the account shows up on the Internet in reverse order. If you want to read through the walk in the correct order, you'll have to click on August, above; then on Introduction.

One day perhaps I'll write this trip up in a more coherent manner. In the meantime, I hope this won't be too confusing, or too complicated.

One other thing: I've been trying to put more photos from the walk online, but it's a slow process. The week of July 13 is all I've managed to get on; you can find them here.

2 comments:

Isadora said...

We are greatly enjoying your blog. We hike in the alps every summer and your writing allowed us to feel we were out on the trail with you.

Amusing how we got to your "Walk across the Alps"-- the wife was reading the introduction to Jonathan Waxman's A Great American Cook, came across his reference to "Lindsey Shere, who may be the best pastry chef I've ever encountered" and googled her name. That eventually led to your Alp diary which we shared while sipping late morning cafe au lait at our table overlooking 96th Street and a corner of Central Park in Manhattan. What a lovely Saturday morning!

We are hiking in Alsace this coming summer. Have you? and if so, do you have any recommendations? The wife's family came from there (Mulhouse) as, it seems, did Lindsey's. And both are Cal grads way too interested in food.

In fact, if Lindsey or you have some SF-area recommendations, we would appreciate them since in mid-March we are heading to SF for a week to visit our sons.

PS- The husband was in Chamonix last summer and informs me that the Brevant lift was closed for renovations for the entire summer. He says that it must have been an enormous day and salutes you for it.

Isadora & Bernard

Charles Shere said...

What a shame: I only just now happened across your comment, and it's almost May. We haven't walked in Alsace; it's not an area that's particularly called out to me (though we did spend a nice couple of weeks there some years ago). Lindsey's mother's family were Alsatian-Bavarian. We do have San Francisco recommendations, but you've already come and gone.
In a month we're back in The Netherlands; I hope we hit the trail again. But my heart's in the Alps.